10 Things About Julie Cowan Novak &
Patrons of the Prado

Share:

“To laugh often and much, to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends, to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition, to know that one life has breathed easier because you have lived here. This is to have succeeded.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Balboa Park is our nation’s largest cultural urban park and provides a world-class cultural and educational experience for millions of locals and visitors from around the world. The Prado is Balboa Park’s crown jewel, famous for its historical artisan-crafted facades, lush gardens, sparkling pools and flowing fountains. Since 1997, Patrons of the Prado has funded over $4.4 million and provided tens of thousands of all-volunteer hours to benefit the arts, science and cultural organizations that occupy the Prado in Balboa Park.

Julie Cowan Novak is the Second Vice President as well as Gala Chair of Patrons of the Prado. Julie is more committed than ever to raising funds for Patrons of the Prado since Patrons’ annual fundraiser had to be postponed until next year – July 17, 2021, due to the pandemic.

10 Things About Julie Cowan Novak & Patrons of the Prado

#1 I grew up in Lacon and LaSalle, Illinois with summers in Northern Wisconsin and Michigan.

#2 I think it is important for everyone to have good listening skills and cultural proficiency.

#3 My favorite travel destinations have been: Cape Town, Edinburgh, Krakow, Paris, Rome and Florence.

#4 I hope to spend a month in Scotland with Granddaughter Goldie and our family.

#5 Rojo, a Welsh Springer Spaniel has been a member of our family for 17 years.

#6 I grew up in the hotel business, my Dad was the general manager and our family lived in the hotel; think Eloise.

#7 Prayers of gratefulness, long walks at the beach, Zoom/Face Time with Granddaughter Goldie or close friends helps me on tough days.

#8 The generosity of people who have no/minimal material resources was most apparent in the villages near Xochimilco, Mexico, the informal settlements of Cape Town, South Africa, and while serving as a Peace Educator/Citizen Ambassador in Russia and Estonia through Joan Kroc’s Mothers Embracing Nuclear Disarmament (MEND).

#9 90% of happiness is marrying the right person and raising children together who want to give back and help others! The other 10% is finding meaningful philanthropy to work on together.

#10 As a nurse practitioner for 40+ years, I have developed 14 clinics for underserved populations. In San Diego, I have partnered with a wonderful team at Neighborhood House Association, providing a Health and Wellness Van for Head Start sites.

Patrons of the Prado
Midnight in Paris
NEW DATE: July 17, 2021
www.patronsoftheprado.org

author avatar
Esteban Villanueva
Share:
X