Promoting diversity on both the bench and bar
PepsiCo was built on the foundation that we thrive because of our diversity and we can take steps together to advance towards a more united and inclusive tomorrow. Through PepsiCo’s Racial Equality Journey (REJ) commitments, PepsiCo is dedicated to equality and works to support the diverse communities they serve.
PepsiCo is partnering with local organizations such as the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association (SDLRLA). SDLRLA is an organization made up of Latino/a/x attorneys and community partners who are dedicated to justice, equality and the empowerment of the Latino/a/x community and diverse people.
10 Things About PepsiCo & La Raza Lawyers
1. The ongoing pandemic and social reckoning on racial inequities in the United States have served as a reminder that institutions must look like the people that they serve. The legal system is fundamental to our country, and it is vital that future generations have appropriate role models to look up to in order to have hope of entering these spaces as professionals.
2. Approximately 34% of San Diego County’s population is Latino/a/x, yet only about 11% of San Diego Superior Court judges are Latino/a/x. These numbers are only a small reflection of the monumental hurdles that stand in the way of young Latinos/as/xs achieving a career in law as lawyers or judges.
3. PepsiCo has partnered with SDLRLA’s Scholarship Fund to create a joint scholarship in the amount $5,000 for one local law student to develop top talent in our community and accelerate growth opportunities for all.
4. Scholarships are awarded to full-time law students in their first two years of law school, and to part-time students up to their third year of law school.
5. Recipients are not limited to persons of a Latino/Latina background, instead the scholarships are awarded to law students from a variety of backgrounds who have contributed to the advancement of the Latino community.
6. The scholarships are awarded every October at the SDLRLA annual fundraiser.
7. PepsiCo has an internal organization named Adelante. Adelante is a forward-thinking, multicultural Latino/Hispanic enterprise resource group within PepsiCo that works to make a significant contribution in the development of a diverse, inclusionary culture.
8. Adelante helps to unleash the potential of our Latino/Hispanic community to drive consumer insights, influence the business agenda, develop top talent and accelerate growth opportunities for all.
9. Jonathan Arthur is a proud Adelante ambassador, and has been with PepsiCo for nine years. He directly supports PepsiCo’s operations in the Southern California Market.
10. George A. Rios III is a top-rated business litigation attorney in San Diego, and the current President of the San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association.
San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association