What really matters
Members of the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation have resided in and around the foothills of the Dehesa Valley for nearly 12,000 years. Today they are a modern government providing public services to their members, employees and neighbors. The Sycuan Tribal Government operates the region’s premier Indian gaming and resort facilities, the Sycuan Casino and Resort. The Sycuan Tribe demonstrates its strong commitment to the San Diego region through the support of hundreds of civic and charitable organizations.
- In 2014 alone, Sycuan Casino proudly supported over 700 organizations through monetary or in-kind contributions
- 5% of GameDay Sports Bar & Grill’s annual proceeds are donated to the Challenged Athletes Foundation
- Sycuan Casino has the largest teams in the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, WALK MS 2015 and El Cajon Relay for Life events
- Sycuan Casino team members have dedicated over 1,500 walking hours to support local charity chapters
- Sycuan Casino was present at over 160 community events in 2014 – which equates to one event every three days
- Sycuan Casino team members assembled the Sycuan Green Team, who are dedicated to proactively developing recycling programs and educating team members on the importance of respecting the environment
In August of this year, Chairman Cody J. Martinez of the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation presented the Sweetwater Valley Little League team with a $20,000 check on behalf of the tribe. The donation, presented to team representatives during a viewing party of this past weekend’s game at Sweetwater Valley Little League complex, will help cover expenses for the team while it plays in the final rounds of the Little League World Series in Williamsport, PA.
“Sycuan is more than happy to continue the Kumeyaay spirit of giving and continue to be a strong partner in the community. Team sports are so important for the development of these young men. They learn a lot of characteristics – discipline, team work and hard work,” Chairman Martinez told Giving Back Magazine. “And that hard work will get them through the championship. We are very proud about that.”
The donation will help further fund travel, equipment, lodging expenses as well as other costs associated with the team’s participation in the prestigious sporting event. This is the second donation Sycuan has presented to the team. The tribe also provided roundtrip bus transportation for the family members of the players to the earlier game.
The generosity of the Sycuan Band of the Kumeyaay Nation has been experienced over the years by a wide variety of charitable, civic groups and individuals throughout San Diego County. It is this spirit of sharing allows us all to continue to play and win, together.