San Diego Police Foundation.
The goal of the San Diego Police Foundation is simple yet essential: to create a safer San Diego.
Through community donations, the Police Foundation funds equipment, training and outreach programs vital to creating safer communities online and on the street. “Safe neighborhoods are vital to all that we hold dear: our families and friends, our businesses and our very quality of life,” Sara Napoli, president and CEO of the Police Foundation tells Giving Back Magazine. “This is something we can all care about.”
By providing programs that enhance police-community relations and supplying vital equipment needed by police officers to do their jobs safely and with excellence, the Police Foundation builds trust between peace officers and the neighborhoods they serve, as well as increasing officer safety and community wellbeing. Crime prevention benefits those most at risk, such as victims of domestic violence and violent crimes, children and the elderly, yet, the interests of everyone who lives, works or plays in San Diego are served by a region that is safe, peaceful and secure.
In 2016, the following were funded by community contributions to the Police Foundation:
• Community and Youth Outreach Events – enhancing police-community relations and building trust in at-risk neighborhoods.
• Youth Boxing Program – leadership development diverting young people from gang recruitment.
• Police Bikes – eco-friendly, people-friendly transportation in crowds, beaches, and city streets.
• Portable Force Options Simulator – training to enhance police officers’ ability to make split-second, life-saving decisions.
• Twelve K9 Crimefighters and a bomb sniffing canine – police dogs de-escalating very dangerous situations.
• Mass Casualty Trauma Equipment – preparedness for emergency or crisis.
• SafetyNet: Smart Cyber Choices®– keeping our kids safe online.
“We thank all the individuals, families and foundations for their support during this very challenging year when we lost one of America’s Finest right here in San Diego,” shares Sara Napoli. “We also thank our most generous corporate champions and all those who care for our men and women in blue. Among the many that have supported us are Motorola Solutions, San Diego Padres, ESET, Qualcomm, Guardian Towing, Sempra Energy, Coleman University, Donovan’s Steak and Chophouse, Curbi Parental Controls and many more!”
This holiday season, the San Diego Police Foundation seeks community support for the San Diego Police Department in America’s Finest. The Police Foundation is raising funds for outreach programs to enhance police-community relations, increase officer safety, and deliver cyber safety training to teens. Donations can be made online at www.sdpolicefoundation.org or by calling (619) 232-2130.