La Raza Lawyers Association
Formed in 1979, with a handful of Latino attorneys, San Diego La Raza Lawyers Association (SDLRLA) has grown to represent over three hundred Latino and Latina lawyers practicing in San Diego County. SDLRLA is one of 18 affiliate bar associations of the California La Raza Lawyers Association, which serves several thousand Latino lawyers practicing in the State of California.
Our Mission is to advance the cause of equality, empowerment, and justice for Latino attorneys and the Latino community in San Diego County through service and advocacy. We are dedicated to promoting diversity on both the bench and bar. We support law students with mentorship programs and scholarships.
Our members include current and former state and federal court judges, magistrates, referees, law professors, State Bar committee members, county bar board directors, government officials, elected officials, lawyers practicing in all specialty areas and law students.
Specifically, the goals of SDLRLA are:
- Increase the overall number of Latinos in the legal profession.
- Encourage and support Latino and Latina judicial candidates to apply to the bench.
- Advocate for the promotion and retention of Latino and Latina attorneys and judicial officers.
- Improve the professional skills of our members through our certified MCLE programs.
- Provide for the professional and social interaction among our members and other organized bar associations.
- Improve the delivery and access of legal services to the county’s Spanish-speaking community.
- Provide mentoring by pairing San Diego Latino Law Student and new attorneys with local, experienced attorneys to create partnerships that will foster personal and professional growth.
- Provide role models to Latino youth through direct interaction with students and school districts through Project L.E.A.D.
- Strongly advocate positions on judicial, economic and social issues to political leaders and state and local bar associations that impact the Latino community