Serving San Diego County since 1880, San Diego Humane Society provides vital services to animals and people alike.
We offer San Diegans a wide range of programs and services that strengthen the human-animal bond, prevent cruelty/neglect, provide medical care, educate the community on the humane treatment of animals and provide safety net services for all pet families needing assistance with keeping their pets.
As San Diego’s oldest nonprofit organization, San Diego Humane Society has campuses located in Escondido, Oceanside, and San Diego as well as adoption centers inside select Petco stores throughout San Diego County. San Diego Humane Society is supported by contributions, grants, bequests, investments, municipal contracts and small fees for services.
With campuses in San Diego, Escondido and Oceanside, San Diego Humane Society’s programs include:
- sheltering and adopting animals
- investigating animal cruelty and neglect
- rescuing animals in emergency situations
- positive reinforcement behavior training through public training classes
- providing adult and youth education programs
- sharing animals through Pet-Assisted Therapy
- animal control and stray pet services for the public in the cities of Escondido, Oceanside, Poway, San Marcos, and Vista
- and much more!
A private, nonprofit organization that is not affiliated with any other humane society or SPCA. San Diego Humane Society receives no government funding and is supported solely by contributions, grants, bequests, investments and small fees for services.
Humane Society Programs and Services Include:
- Adoptions: on-site and mobile (off-site). Every animal that we adopt out has been spayed or neutered, microchipped, is up-to-date on shots, and has been tested for health and behavior.
- Animal Adventure Camp (spring, winter, and summer break camps for youth).
- Animal control and stray pet services (Escondido, San Marcos, Poway, Oceanside and Vista).
- Animal cruelty and neglect investigations.
- Behavior helpline and private consultations.
- Boy and Girl Scout troop programs.
- Campus tours.
- Comprehensive medical and behavioral services for all animals in our care.
- Educational programs for youth and adults.
- Foster care program.
- Intake of owner-relinquished pets and pets from other shelters.
- Owner-requested euthanasia for terminally ill or suffering animals.
- PAWS San Diego: provides essential pet services and support to low-income seniors, chronically ill, and disabled individuals. This vital community service is the official safety net program of San Diego Humane Society.
- Pet-Assisted Therapy.
- Pet loss support group.
- Project Wildlife: the primary local resource for animal rehabilitation, conservation, and wildlife education.
- Positive reinforcement behavior and training classes for pet owners.
- Rescuing animals in emergency situations (Animal Rescue Reserve).
- School outreach and supplemental programs.
- Sheltering and adopting animals.
- Spay and neuter services.
- Vaccine clinics.
- Volunteer opportunities for youth, adults, and corporate groups.
San Diego Humane Society Contact Info
SAN DIEGO CAMPUS
5500 Gaines St
San Diego, CA 92110
3450 E. Valley Parkway
Escondido, CA 92027
2905 San Luis Rey Road (Dogs)
572 Airport Road (Cats, Small Animals)
Oceanside, CA 92058