Make a Difference to Organizations. 

Questions to Consider

How can I use my IRA to honor my lifetime of giving?

Allocate all, or part, of your IRA to your favorite organizations with a personalized Legacy plan through the Jewish Community Foundation. This may avoid taxes. Ask them for their 5 Steps to Creating a Legacy booklet to help you with this process.


How do I avoid my Required Minimum Distribution being counted towards my income?

If you are over the age of 70½, IRS rules require you to take annual distributions from your retirement account. You may be able to exclude these distributions from your income as long as they are directed to a qualified 501(c)(3) organization. This option is known as the qualified charitable distribution (QCD). However, current law does not permit donor advised funds to accept QCDs, but they may be used to establish or contribute to an endowment fund.

What is a Donor Advised Fund and how do I open one?

A Donor Advised Fund (DAF) is an individual charitable account that helps make giving easier and more meaningful. With a minimum gift of $1,800, you can open a donor advised fund and begin recommending grants starting as low as $100. A donor advised fund allows donors to direct all of their charitable contributions through one personal philanthropic account. Upon giving to the fund, donors may receive immediate tax benefits and then support nonprofits of their choice anytime in the future.

To open a Donor Advised Fund, please contact the Jewish Community Foundation at (858) 279-2740.

Please note: The Jewish Community Foundation does not provide tax advice. Donors should consult their tax and/or legal advisors for specific guidance.